Corten Steel Paradise – Raised Water Table
- Available in 3 sizes
- Weathers to develop its own protective rust finish
- Can be at any point throughout the weathering process when received
- Pre-weathering service available, contact us for prices
- Sunken - sunken sump which sits in ground, please see photos
- Raised - sits above ground with a Corten Steel sump surround, please see photos
- These items are made to order
- Minimum lead time is 6 weeks for the Sunken model
- Minimum lead time is 10+ weeks for the Raised model
- Polished Pebbles not included
A water bowl sitting on a raised bed inside a Corten steel ring or sitting at ground level with the pump operations sunken into the ground.
Corten Steel, also known as weathering steel, is a special steel originally developed for bridge building and skyscraper construction due to its incredible strength. It starts out as a blue steel but on exposure to the elements, develops a protective, striking rust appearance, creating warm rich textures not always associated with metal. Due to the chemical composition of Corten Steel, a very dense oxidisation layer is formed during the weathering process which protects the blue steel inside. This natural fixed coating of rust provides protection against further corrosion. If this protective barrier is compromised, it will simply form a new skin to protect itself. Corten Steel is extremely durable and has a far higher resistance to atmospheric corrosion than other steels.
During the weathering process the Corten Steel produces carbon run off or staining to adjacent materials such as stone or concrete. To reduce this possible staining, we recommend raising the product up off the ground by using a suitable stand, blocks of wood, slabs and such like; this will prevent any direct contact with the flooring material. After the initial reactive period Corten Steel will cure and self-seal with little to no carbon run off. The weathering process of Corten Steel is integral to this product and as such we will not accept any responsibility for damage caused to surrounding materials as a result of carbon run off from Corten Steel products. Please ensure you do not place your product on any surface that may be damaged during the weathering process.
Step-by-Step Weathering Guide
- Stage 1 – Freshly manufactured Corten Steel. At this stage the dark oily residue coats the Corten Steel.
- Stage 2 – The oily residue is beginning to break down, as the Corten Steel begins to weather.
- Stage 3 & 4 – The “Run-Off” stage – This can take around 3-9 months depending on weather and positioning.
- Stage 5 & 6 – The final stages of the weathering process. Some “Run-Off” may still occur as the Corten Steels patina develops to a striking, more consistent appearance.
Corten Steel is extremely durable. if it is scratched or the weathered surface is damaged, it will re-weather (heal) itself back to the original weathered state, making the damaged area nearly undisguisable from the rest of the planter. Corten can be easily cleaned using water and a soft brush. it can be sealed using a metal specific varnish, please note this will make the steel appear ‘wet’ or darker for the rest of the item’s life.